Friday, May 27, 2011

Skirt & Stuff

So I finished (sort of, haha) my skirt! It needs a lining because the material is sort of see-through, but only when I stand naturally, so a lining is pretty much necessary if I'm going to wear it in public, haha. It actually wasn't too hard to put together, cutting out the pieces took a little over an hour and it was easy enough to put the main pieces together. Attaching the yoke and finishing the skirt was a challenge. It took me a while to figure out what the pattern meant by the "lower edge of the yoke" and the "upper edge of the skirt" (I had to pin them together) but I eventually got it after looking at a few pictures of skirts with yokes and the picture of the pattern again. I finished it in probably about 5ish hours, but it was my first skirt and I stumbled with the yoke. But now that I've got one done, especially with that pattern, I figure it will take me maybe 4-5 hours to make another one. The skirt even has pockets! It's fairly awesome.
Before cutting any pieces
All the pieces are cut out!
The first half of the pockets
My first attempt at pleats turned out fairly well.
Finished skirt!
I love the pockets.
Eventually I want to purchase some heavier material and make this skirt for work. I'm thinking grey linen, but I'm not really sure. I think if I make it out of a heavier material it will hang differently at the bottom, so it might be better for work. (I also don't think the polka dots would be work appropriate, haha).

Speaking of work, I'm going to Indy this weekend for the 500! My last band event as a member of the AAMB... I am going to go through withdrawal come the fall, and I know it. The boy is starting to go through his own withdrawals. We have joked about finding grief counselors for each other. Ridiculous, I know. We'll be okay. I have already told him that if he stops singing I'll smack him. He then proceeded to ask me if I had found anything for band in ATL yet. I haven't, but I need to. I know I will miss playing. I pulled out my old trumpet today to show it to him, the valves still move! (After not touching it for a few years, I was very impressed) But if I do find a play to play, I'll bring my French horn over my trumpet, simply because it's been so long since I have played my trumpet.

The boy came with me to my parent's house from Tuesday-this afternoon. We detoured to the Navy Pier,  because my mom's flight back from CA was cancelled. So she got in to O'Hare at 11pm. We picked her up and went the rest of the way home. It was fun walking around Navy Pier with the boy, he hadn't ever been there before. It was chilly!! We were both in shorts because it had been summer in Indiana but became fall in Chicago. Brr. It rained while we were at home, but we went to the Jelly Belly factory and the Cheese Castle. He was excited when I told him we were going to go there. We bought lots of jelly beans and took the tour of the Jelly Belly warehouse/factory with my mom. She was happy we were finally able to visit her. We were both been so busy this semester there wasn't time for us to make the drive up to see her.

It's bedtime for me. I'm glad to be back in my apartment in IN, especially with my cats. (They were at home for the weekend, but I was able to bring them back with me this time. It was so lonely here without them!)

Until next time, readers.

Fortune cookie says: Be patient! The Great Wall didn't got build in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment